Home > Blog

Completing Your Preliminary Declarations of Disclosure In Your California Divorce

            After you filed your initial petition for dissolution in California, the next step in the divorce process is filing your Preliminary Declarations of Disclosure (PDDs). These declarations provide the other party in your dissolution proceeding with the information needed to negotiate and assess their case. Completing your Preliminary Declarations of Disclosure thoroughly and accurately promotes transparency, which can help foster a fair and complete agreement between the divorcing couple.

            The Preliminary Declarations of Disclosure should be completed and served within the first 60 days after the initial filing. They typically consist of three forms a FL-140, FL-142 and FL-150. All three of these forms should be served on the other party, but not filed with the court. Additionally, you should also complete and serve a Statement of Material Facts as well.  Once all these forms have been served, then you fill out a FL-141 and file it with the court.

            FL-150 is your Income and Expense Declaration. It provides the other party with all of the information it needs to assess your income for child and spousal support purposes. Make sure to complete this declaration as thoroughly and accurately as possible.  You will also need to attach your last two months of paystubs as well. There are Youtube videos available on how to fill out this form. If you are having trouble completing your FL-150, contact Humphrey Family Law at and we can help you complete is correctly.

            FL-142 is your Schedule of Assets and Debts. This form will list all of your property both personal property and real property. The family residence, your vehicles, your bank accounts, and other assets will have to be listed on this form.  This is the form where you will also list out your debts such as credit cards, mortgages, personal loans and other forms of debt. Please note that this form will also include both community property and separate property. There are Youtube videos available on how to fill out this form. If you need help completing your FL-142 or classifying your property as community or separate please visit and submit an inquiry so we can assist you.

            Next you need to write out a Statement of Material Facts. Google “Statement of Material Facts California Family Law” to see examples online. After you have completed your Income and Expense Declaration, Schedule of Assets and Debts, and your Statement of Material Facts, you complete your FL-140. This is basically an itemized list of all the documents and forms you will be serving on the other party. Make sure you are meeting all of the requirements of the FL-140. Once you complete your FL-140, serve it on the other party along with the other documents you prepared (FL-140, FL-142, FL-150 and Statement of Material Facts). Don’t hesitate to contact, if you need assistance.

            Finally, fill out your FL-141 and file it with the clerk. This will be the only form you file with the court regarding your Preliminary Declarations of Disclosure. Eventually, you might have to file an Income and Expense Declaration, but that is for a later discussion. Following all of these steps will successfully completed your PDDs. If you have any questions or feedback, please direct all comments and inquires to Humphrey Family Law at   

Ronald Humphrey
Humphrey Family Law